Nippy Cheddar in a Golden Phyllo Purse
This easy to make, baked cheddar recipe will be your show stopper!
It makes a beautiful centrepiece on a grazing table and the flavours are unimaginable, highlighted by Summer Kitchen's award winning Sweet Horseradish Spread.
- 1/2 lb (250 g) nippy cheddar (3 yrs or older) or favourite aged cheese block
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Summer Kitchen Sweet Horseradish Spread
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried unseasoned white bread crumbs
- 6 tbsp (75 ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 6-8 sheets of phyllo (stacked between 2 sheets of waxed paper & covered in a dampened tea towel)
- garnish with fresh fruit (grapes, apples, pears, etc) and plain crackers
On a clean surface lay 1 sheet of phyllo.
Brush only the surface of the phyllo which will rest underneath and around cheese, with melted butter.
Sprinkle bread crumbs on buttered phyllo only.
Lay next sheet on top and repeat process until all phyllo is used up.
Place block of cheese in centre of phyllo sheets.
Spread the cheese with Summer Kitchen Sweet Horseradish
Gently bring all 4 corners into the centre and draw sides to enclose cheese like a hobo sack.
To get a 'blooming flower' effect, pull away single sheets of phyllo from the centre mimicking flower petals.
Do NOT open up the parcel.
Brush finished product with butter.
Bake in 350F oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow to cool slightly and serve with fresh fruit and crackers.
Makes 1 piece. Serves 4-6 people.
Sweet and Sour Coleslaw
- 6 cups (1 lb) finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup (75 ml) thinly sliced Spanish onions
- 1/3 cup (20 g) finely grated carrot
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50g) minced red pepper
- 3 1/2 tbsp Summer Kitchen Sweet Horseradish Spread
- 1 tbsp Queen Mary Honey Cider Mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
In a large bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, sliced onion, minced red pepper, and grated carrot. Set aside
In a medium sized jar, mix the Sweet Horseradish with the Honey Cider Mustard. Add the vinegars and shake until well blended. Add oil and shake again until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
Toss the dressing with the prepared coleslaw vegetables.
Chill the coleslaw, covered, for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Makes about 7 1/2 cups.
Meat Loaf with Sweet Horseradish
- 2 lbs (900 g) lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cooking onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) Sweet Horseradish
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) tomato paste or ketchup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
In a large skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. Add onions, celery, and thyme. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add mushrooms and continue to cook about 10 minutes or until mushroom liquid has evaporated. Add Sweet Horseradish to mushrooms and allow to coat. Set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine beef, tomato paste, breadcrumbs and parsley. Add the cooked vegetables, season to taste and mix well. Pat the meat mixture into a greased 9" x 15" loaf pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 F for 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Mushroom Spinach Ricotta Tartlets with Caramelized Onion & Walnuts
- 1 sheet purchased puff pastry (8 oz), thawed
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 6 mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch of fresh spinach
- Ricotta cheese
- Caramelized Onion
- Walnut pieces for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
On medium high, heat butter and oil in a medium fry pan. Add mushrooms and brown until all the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. In the same pan, sauté spinach until wilted, remove from heat and set aside. Using a 2" (5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out 18 rounds or more pastry rounds. Transfer the pastry rounds to an ungreased baking sheet and pierce several times with a fork. Brush pastry tops with egg wash.
To assemble: Leaving a very narrow border spread heaping teaspoon of Caramalized Onion on pastry. Top with sautéed mushrooms, wilted spinach and 1/2 tsp of ricotta cheese. Garnish with walnut pieces. Bake tartlets for 10 – 12 minutes or until browned.
Yield 18 to 20 tartlets
Cranberry Conserve Smoked Turkey & Brie Sandwiches
- 8 tbsp (125 ml) Cranberry Conserve with Port & Pecans
- 1/2 lb (225 g) Brie, sliced thinly into 8 pieces
- 4-5 inch (10 cm) thick slices baguette, split horizontally in half
- 1 lb (454 g) smoked turkey, thinly sliced
- 4 large leaves curly endive
On a clean surface, lay open the baguette slices (be careful not to break the bread apart). Spread both sides of the bread with the Cranberry Conserve with Port and Pecans. Top one side of bread with slices of brie, smoked turkey and lastly, top with curly endive leaves. Close the sandwiches.
With a serrated knife, cut the sandwiches in half on the diagonal. Wrap in waxed paper or cling film and refrigerate up to a minimum of 1/2 hour to a maximum of 3 hours.
Sunday Morning Scrambled Eggs with Sundried Tomato Chutney
- 6 whole eggs
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tsp (10 ml) snipped fresh chives or green onions
- 2 tsp (10 ml) finely chopped parsley
- Sundried Tomato Chutney
- salt & pepper to taste
In a bowl lightly whisk the eggs, 1/4 cup (50 ml) goat cheese, herbs and pepper to taste. In a large heavy skillet melt butter over moderate heat, add the egg mixture and reduce the heat to moderately low. Cook for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring constantly to achieve scrambled texture.and desired consistency. Season to taste. The scrambled eggs will have large curds and appear very creamy.
Serve the eggs with Sundried Tomato Chutney.
Spicy Shrimp Cocktail with Ole! Chilean Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 lb. (454g) raw tiger shrimp (26-30 count) peeled, deveined, pat dry
- 2 tbsp. (25ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Ole! Chilean Hot Pepper Sauce
- Tostito Scoops!
- cilantro to garnish
In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over high heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer in the pan and sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl & toss with Ole! Chilean Hot Pepper Sauce. Serve immediately.
Optional: Create hors d'oeuvres by filling Tostito Scoops with 1 tsp (5 ml) guacamole, top with 1 shrimp tossed in Ole! Chilean Hot Pepper Sauce and garnish with coriander. Serve immediately.
Makes 26-30 hors d'oeuvres